Gary Bettman was instituted in the NHL commissioner position on February 1, 1993, nineteen and a half years ago.
Since earning the position, Bettman helped NHL owners by growing the league's revenues by more than 700% (from $400M to over $3Billion). But at what cost? The fans have been paying a hefty price for the owners' greed as they are now hit with the third work stoppage for the sport they love, in less than 20 years since Bettman took over as commissioner. Here are some BETTMAN FACTS:
- 3 lockouts is the most for any human being in the role of commissioner of a professional sports league in North America
- Under Bettman's reign, the NHL has lost 1698 games to lockout (since 1993), not taking into account this season. If the season is lost, the count will be close to 3000.
- NBA, NFL and MLB combined since 1992 for 1442 games lost to lockout; this is less than the NHL had on its own NOT including this season.
- Despite unanimous lockout vote, some owners are against the lockout and against Gary Bettman as NHL commissioner. The only reason they didn't express themselves is to avoid the media circus, knowing that nothing could be changed. Bettman only needs support of EIGHT (yes, 8!) owners to remain in charge.
- So far I have received confirmation Red Wings Ilitch, Habs Molson and Sabres Pegula are 3 of the owners against Bettman and the lockout.
- Gary Bettman's annual salary is $8Million. This is greater than 99.7% of the players.
Bettman is destroying the game of hockey. Over the past years, NHL gained huge popularity in some big American markets, with teams like Detroit, Pittsburgh, Boston and LA winning the Cup. I think it is time for the owners, the players and the fans to stand united and make it knows to the world that this will no longer be acceptable.
Sign the petition NOW, make you part!