(not displayed publicly)
Opened on August 15, 2012
TO THE HONOURABLE THE SPEAKER AND MEMBERS OF
THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
This petition of certain citizens of Australia draws the attention of the House to:
• the failure of the Commonwealth Marriage Act (1961) to allow marriages to be solemnised
between partners of the same sex;
• the failure of the Marriage Act to recognise same-sex marriages solemnised in other countries;
• the great harm this does to same-sex partners and their families by discriminating against them,
entrenching a second-class legal status, and perpetuating prejudice and stigma;
• the great harm this does to marriage by associating it with discrimination; and,
• the fact that an increasing number of other countries allow same-sex marriage, and most
Australians support it.
We therefore ask the House to:
• amend the Commonwealth Marriage Act so that marriages may be solemnised, and overseas
marriage recognised, regardless of the sex of the partners concerned.
» Contact Petition's Author
Petitions By Categories
Civil and Human Rights
Education and Science
Economy and Business
Entertainment and Media
Politics and Government
Law and Justice
More Online Petitions
How To Write A Petition?
Signature Removal Request
PetitionBuzz® is a registered US and UK trademark. All Rights Reserved 2008-2013.