Attached is a Petition to STOP the project to build an overpass on Texas Highway 30 at FM 244 in Carlos, Texas.
We the People…
The undersigned residents of Grimes County, Tx and surrounding areas are OPPOSED to the proposed overpass at the intersection of Texas Hwy 30 and FM 244 in Carlos, Texas for the following reasons:
1) The traffic flow issue could be remedied by changing the traffic light to a four way stop. This project is overkill for a community this size.
2) The construction would destroy the historic little community of Carlos, Texas and would disrupt the lives of the residents.
3) The one business at the intersection would be closed. 4) The historic Masonic Lodge would be removed.
5) There is not enough traffic through the community to warrant such a project. Several other intersections between Huntsville, Tx and Bryan,Tx on Hwy 30 have four way stops and they function properly without an overpass of this magnitude.
6) Darrell Bushman has offered to donate the land necessary to straighten the road, an option that would not disrupt the community and would be much more cost effective.
7) The UNDERSIGNED ARE OPPOSED TO THIS PROJECT. This type of project is unprecidented for a community this size. It is unnecessary, unwanted and unwarrented. It is a waste of taxpayer’s money.
This project will disrupt our lives in ways many of the residents have not considered. In addition to the obvious changes to the landscape, the residents should consider that the construction period will last longer and cost more than the proposal indicates. It will bring in a large number of strangers to the area, possibly undocumented workers. The crime rate will likely rise. Our homes and property will be less secure with strangers in the area. Burglery, vandalism and even assault is possible. There will be dirt, trash and debris blowing around. Porta Cans will dot the landscape. There will be traffic jams in front of the Carlos Church. The Carlos Store will be torn down and the Masonic Lodge removed. Our quiet community will never be the same.