The American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) has recently created Maintenance of Certification (MOC) requirements which add significant time and expense to board certification. Beginning in 2014, to be reported as "Meeting MOC Requirements," physicians must sign up for a complex system requiring they complete MOC activities every two years and pay significantly higher fees.
The undersigned believe:
1) ABIM has made unreasonable changes in MOC requiring more frequent participation and higher fees
2) Scientific data indicating MOC provides benefit is lacking
3) Via either personal experience with MOC or the experience of our colleagues, we believe the MOC activities are complex, have questionable value, and detract from more worthwhile pursuits, including patient care and other educational activities, i.e. CME
4) A test administered every ten years for recertificationis a sufficient metric for MOC
5) Therefore, we call on ABIM to recall the changes in MOC and institute a simple pathway consisting of a recertification test every ten years
If you support this petition, please send it to your colleagues and your hospital medical staff office for distribution.
Supported by Physicians for Certification Change